KERAMIDA provides comprehensive water, stormwater, and wastewater management and engineering services with solutions that are feasible and cost-effective.
Our Water & Wastewater Services include:
- Stream / Lake / Marine Studies
- NPDES Permitting / Water Quality Standards Applications
- Fishkill Investigations
- Wastewater Treatment Plant Operation & Maintenance
- Toxic Control Strategy Development
- Compliance Negotiations
- Wetlands Delineation / Construction
- Floodplain Assessments
- Stormwater Management
- SPCC/SWPP Plans
NPDES Permitting and Limits Development
KERAMIDA has provided assistance to many municipal and industrial clients in the preparation of NPDES permit applications and the development of appropriate permit limits and biomonitoring conditions. Our professionals have negotiated successfully on our clients' behalf with state environmental agencies and the U.S. EPA offices in Regions One and Five.
In a project completed for the City of Indianapolis, KERAMIDA provided technical support to the City for the preparation of its applications for the NPDES permit renewals for its two POTWs and the stormwater NPDES. The work included:
- Technical evaluation of plant performance and river water quality data collected over a period of 10 years
- Interpretation of applicable present and forthcoming regulations
- Evaluation of their impact on the permits and development of strategies for compliance
- Negotiations with regulatory agencies
In another case, KERAMIDA was retained by a major municipality to assist in the development of its NPDES permit limits, in the preparation of comments to the proposed permit and in negotiations with the regulatory agency. This included evaluation of the impact of the Great Lakes Initiative, as well as evaluation of multiple river water, sediment and invertebrate studies, effluent toxicity assessments, and industrial discharges.
In a project for an East Coast Industrial Facility, KERAMIDA drafted comments to the proposed NPDES permit and established technical justification which convinced EPA Region I to issue the final permit without the objectionable limits included in the proposed permit.
Stormwater Management & Enforcement
KERAMIDA has provided assistance to hundreds of industrial and municipal clients in the preparation and negotiation of NPDES permit applications, stormwater management strategies, and the preparation of SPCC and SWPP plans. KERAMIDA has also provided extensive evaluation of stormwater management and discharges, facility expansions, and past practices, and has provided litigation support in a multi-million dollar U.S. EPA enforcement case.
Our professionals have received intensive training on stormwater sampling methodology and have conducted the sampling and prepared the necessary applications on behalf of numerous industrial clients, as well as trained industrial representatives for sample collection.
KERAMIDA prepared comments to proposed federal stormwater regulations on behalf of a major municipality, and designed a management plan for the municipality's compliance with forthcoming stormwater regulations to be used as a planning guide. The management plan included:
- Storm water discharge and stream monitoring plans
- Critical information gathering and review schemes
- Estimation of associated costs
- Coordination with local industry/business community
- Development of local authority requirements
In another project, KERAMIDA directed a stormwater monitoring and assessment study of Fall Creek, Indiana, to evaluate the impact of metropolitan runoff on the stream's water quality over numerous storm events. The study included collection of stream water samples before, during, and after a storm, for multiple storm events.
Water Quality Assessments
Eagle Creek - KERAMIDA performed an investigation of the presence of hazardous organic and inorganic substances in Eagle Creek and Eagle Creek reservoir in Indiana, an evaluation of possible pollutant contributing areas, and an assessment of pollutants' effects to human health and environment.
Chloride in Great Lakes Study - KERAMIDA performed a study to evaluate the presence and cause of chloride in the waters of Lake Michigan under a grant from U.S. EPA Region 5.
Water Quality Standards - KERAMIDA evaluated the impact of new Indiana water quality standards on a major municipality's NPDES permits and on industrial indirect dischargers. KERAMIDA also prepared comments to the proposed water quality regulation on behalf of the municipality.
Drainage Study and Implementation
KERAMIDA's work in a drainage study and implementation project included:
- Evaluating drainage alternatives for large commercial trucking facility
- Calculating drainage basin flow and performing hydrologic model to obtain construction permit
- Oversight of design
- Preparation of applications to city and state agencies
- Successfully negotiating with both agencies to reverse their original refusal and issue the permits. Permits were granted by both agencies.
Construction in a Floodway Permit
KERAMIDA has prepared numerous permit applications and performed floodway modeling using HEC-2 and HEC-RAS software; prepared IDNR permit applications, including soil erosion plans; and negotiated with IDNR and obtained permits.
KERAMIDA has conducted an extensive recharge pond study for evaluation of environmental impacts of adjacent land practices by an energy generation facility on the pond's water and sediment and the vicinity's groundwater.
KERAMIDA has conducted extensive investigations of fish kills, on behalf of potential dischargers, including:
- Circumstances of fish kill
- River studies
- Fish sampling and cause of death determination
- Chemical breakdown in surface waters
- Modeling of dispersion
The work included extensive evaluation of POTW operations, and presence of toxic compounds in sewers.
Wetlands Delineation And Mitigation
KERAMIDA has conducted identification, delineation and mitigation of wetlands as part of many site assessments, major development projects, and landfill siting and design projects.